Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Lenovo: you have to buy Windows, As Per Policy

I got a pretty quick response from the Lenovo sales people -- complete with verbiage at the bottom emphasizing how the email was confidential and legally privileged, and any retransmission, dissemination, or other public use is strictly prohibited. They should have put the EULA for the email at the top, before I scrolled down! I might not have agreed to read the email! Geez, or worse, what if somebody accidentally read it over my shoulder in a coffee shop!

Anyway, they said:
We do not have option to sell any unit without operating system as per policy.

So I guess I won't buy a ThinkPad. I'm just not willing to pay The Microsoft Tax when I'm not going to use Windows.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alex,

I tried to contact you via the link (View my complete profile, Contact My Webpage) on your Penguin Parens
blog but it does not work for me. I am using Windows XP and Mozilla Firefox 3.5 and it brings up a blank webpage.

My question for you is do you use speech recognition software? I apologize if this seems like a dumb question. I take it you use Linux and I was wondering if you did use SR software, which kind on Linux?

Thanks,

Steve

Unknown said...

Hey Steve,

I don't really know much about speech recognition software! Never really used it.

But: best of luck!