Thursday, January 20, 2011

keeping notes on a wiki

Stepping firmly into 2005, I decided to keep notes and links and miscellanea on my own personal wiki! I'm trying to be better about remembering things, and also about keeping my stuff in a somewhat public, web-accessible place.

And I really like MoinMoin! It was easy to set up on our Ubuntu server. Up until now, I've mostly just kept a bunch of text files in version control, organized chronologically. But a wiki can be nonlinear, which is cool. Maybe sooner or later, my labmates will wiki with me on a shared wiki space...

How do you manage notes to yourself? Do you use a physical notebook? Some other kind of software? (where does it run?)

3 comments:

Graham said...

I keep some notes in a Google Doc. It's not ideal.

Unknown said...

I was inspired by Mark and Lex Spoon, who at various times have had wiki-like things running on their laptops: voodoopad and Swiki respectively, if I recall correctly.

And then Nick Black has his amazing blackwiki...

There's a pretty good discussion on what people are using over on my buzz situation -- I wish the comments there and here would sync!

http://www.google.com/buzz/alex.rudnick/Aku6beeenNd/keeping-notes-on-a-wiki

Mark said...

My VoodooPad has been collecting notes for fourish years now. It's actually not very wiki-like anymore. I keep a page for each week, and if I need to find something important I search through it.

I do like keeping everything in one place, and being able to limit the view of notes to the immediate present.